How to Check transfer and withdraw your Provident Fund balance 

As payroll and HR experts, majority of the questions we’re asked by our clients revolve around Provident Fund (PF) formalities.  The compliance norms and best practices pertaining to PF have always been a concern for HR managers.  However, what really matters to employees is how you can check your EPF balance and more importantly, how you can withdraw it.

 How to withdraw your Provident Fund Amount?

Coming to crucial question of how do you actually withdraw your PF contribution.  You can do this through your employer or without any intervention from your employer.  There are a couple of forms that you will be required to fill along this process. To make things easier, we’ve put all the forms you need in one easy to download file. You can access this file by clicking on the link below:

1) Submitting your withdrawal claim through your employer

To submit your PF withdrawal claim through your employer you need submit the following forms:

  1. Form 19
  2. Form 10C
  3. Form 15G

There are two types of forms. The (UAN) forms are meant to be filled when the employee wants to withdraw funds without the intervention of the employer. If you wish to withdraw your provident fund balance with your employers help, you don’t need to fill up the (UAN forms.

You need the signature of an authorized signatory and the company stamp at the bottom of each page of the forms.  Also make sure all the details you’ve filled up are accurate and they match the details that you’ve provided to your employer.  Here are the documents you need to submit along with these forms (All documents are compulsory).

  1. Employee’s PAN Card copy
  2. Cancelled cheque (if your name isn’t printed on the cancelled cheque, attach a copy of bank statement or passbook first page as well)
  3. Member UAN Number is compulsory, and without this PF form won’t be accepted by PF department.
  4. Once you’ve completed the forms and attached your required documents, submit these to your  past employer.  Once, you’ve done that, the employer will submit it to the registered PF office and complete the formalities for your PF withdrawal claim.

2) Submitting your PF claim without your employer 

In order to use this method of claiming your PF balance, employees need to have their Form 11 completed and submitted.  This form has been made compulsory since Jan 2016. Hence, it isn’t a problem for those who have been contributing since then.  However, for older PF members,   who haven’t contributed in 2016, this form may not be filled. In such cases, employees can only withdraw their PF amount via the employer.

Here are the lists of forms employees need to fill out to submit their withdrawal claim without the employer. You need to attach a cancelled cheque of the relevant bank account along with these forms.  You also need to ensure that it is signed and stamped by a bank manager before you submit it.

  1. Form 19 (UAN)
  2. Form 10(C) (UAN)
  3. Form 15G

Before filling out these forms ensure that the following requisites are completed:

  1. You must have your UAN number
  2. Your UAN account should be activated.
  3. The UAN database should have your bank account number, PAN card and Aadhaar number
  4. All of the above KYC documents should be approved digitally by your employer.
  5. You must register on the UAN portal.
  6. All the personal information available at UAN portal should be correct.
  7. Attach a cancelled cheque along with these forms.

How to transfer your Provident Fund balance

Employees who have moved to a new workplace should transfer their PF balance to their new account. Here’s a quick guide on how you can do that online:


  1. Visit
  2. Enter your identification details on the left hand side menu
  3. Click on “CLAIM” on top menu
  4. Fill up the form that appears and click on submit
  5. Submit the hard copy of the form to the HR department
  6. Once the transfer is initiated, the employer can approve it using his digital signature